Traditional Punjabi Kadi with Pakora:
Preparing the Pakoras (Dumplings)
- 2 cups Besan (gram flour) , 1 tsp Ajwain (carom seeds) , Salt ,Pepper and Red Chilli Powder (according to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder, a pinch of Hing (Asafoetida),
- Finely Chopped Potato and Onion
- Mix all together with warm 1 cup of water.
- Heat sufficient oil in a frying pan, drop small portions of the besan mixture and deep fry till golden brown. Drain and place on an absorbent paper and set aside.
Preparing Kadi :
- Home Made or any Plain Yogurt about 1 litre (whisk yogurt until smooth)
- I Cup Besan (Gram Flour)
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder, 2 tsp Turmeric Powder, 10-12Black Peppercorn, Curry Leaves, 1 tsp Garam Masala and Salt to Taste
- Onion Slices, Ginger and Garlic Paste or thin sliced
- Whisk Besan and other spices in Yogurt and mix water about 4 cups.
- Whisk yogurt well to make it smooth and mix besan. Blend thoroughly so as to ensure that there are no lumps. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, salt and water. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a large deep pan. Add Fenugreek seeds, Cumin seeds, Black peppercorns and Red chillies and Curry leaves. Stir-fry for half a minute. Add Onions, Ginger and Garlic stir-fry for a minute. Add yogurt mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for about fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally. Add red chilli powder and fried pakoras and continue to simmer for four to five minutes. cover and close the pan. let the pakoras be soaked in the kadhi for some minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve the Punjabi Kadhi Pakora with warm Jeera-Rice,or Naan.